For the thyme leaves:
- Heat the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the thyme leaves and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until crispy. Set aside on kitchen paper.
For the chicken liver pâté:
- Heat a knob of butter in a frying pan over a medium-low heat. Add the chopped onion and thyme leaves and cook over a low flame until the onion turns soft and translucent, then turn into a food processor.
- Return the pan back to the stove, increasing the heat to medium-high. Add a knob of butter and the livers.
- Fry the livers for 1-2 minutes on each side until browned but still pink inside. Once cooked, add the livers to the food processor with the onion.
- Return the frying pan back to the heat and deglaze the pan with brandy. Allow the mixture to reduce slightly and the alcohol to cook off, then add it to the food processor.
- Finally add the crème fraîche, salt and spices and whizz until smooth. Add the rest of the butter, and whizz again.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if needs be. Pass the liver mixture through a sieve into a large bowl. Place the sieved mixture into a jar or ramekin and chill until set.
Spread a heaped tablespoon of chicken liver pâté on each rice cake, drizzle over the apple jelly and top with the crispy fried thyme leaves.