Sweet potato, carrot, miso and ginger soup
The winning #SoupScooter recipe, by Olivia Williamson.
- 600g carrots, peeled
- 900g sweet potatoes, peeled
- 3 onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Sesame oil or olive oil for roasting
- 7 tsp. vegetable stock + 1.5 litres water
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 500ml almond milk, or milk of choice
- 4-5 tbsp white miso paste
- Spring onions, sliced finely
- Cream/ crème fraiche/ coconut cream
- Black pepper
- Crusty bread
This recipe uses either...< Our tasty recipes
How to make
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oC, fan oven.
- Chop the carrots and the sweet potato into chunks and lay them out on a baking tray. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat everything.
- Chop the onions into wedges, leaving most of the skin on. Place these on another baking tray with the cloves of garlic, with their peels kept on. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat everything.
- Place everything in the oven for 30-40 minutes until completely soft. When cooked, take them out to cool.
- Boil 1.5 litres of water and dissolve the vegetable stock into it.
- Peel any remaining onion skins off and peel off the garlic skins.
- Add the onions and garlic and some of the cooked vegetables to a high speed blender with some of the stock and blend until completely smooth. You will most likely need to do this in batches as there is a lot of volume here to fit all at once. Keep blending the vegetables with the stock until it is all completely smooth.
- Add all of the soup back into your blender (if possible, otherwise do it in batches) and add the grated ginger, milk and 4 tbsp. of miso. Blend and taste, add another tbsp. of miso if you like.
- Serve warm with sliced spring onions, a squeeze of lime, cracked black pepper and a drizzle of cream of choice.